Smartphones are wonderful, aren’t they? But boy, they sure do lose power very quickly. Sure they have a lot of apps and such, but maybe you shouldn’t blame the phone or the apps and instead blame yourself.
Charging your phone’s battery to 100 percent feels like the right choice to maximize your battery’s power. You plug it in overnight, wake up the next day and it’s fully charged! Yay! But don’t celebrate yet, because this strategy might be what’s killing your battery and causing it to lose charge faster.
You see, when your phone hits 100 percent, it’s fully charged. But since it uses power to stay on, it’s going to burn through power in small bursts. Every time it loses a half percent of power, it needs to recharge so it takes a little bit of power from the charger. All of these little trickle charges in quick succession put stress on the battery and reduce its lifespan.
4. Don’t Keep It Plugged In When It’s Fully Charged
Unplug at 100 percent, but who says you need 100 percent power? According to BU (no, not the Boston one, the battery one mentioned previously), your smart phone’s battery doesn’t need to be charged all the way, and charging it fully will put more wear on it, once again reducing its overall lifespan. So no need to max out your phone’s strength.
When it comes to food, you don’t just eat a whole bunch of food once a day. Instead, you have a few meals throughout. That’s how you should think about your phone: Try to keep it plugged in for just a few smaller portions of time throughout the day. It’s much easier for the battery to handle small charges than a single long charge. But what’s the ideal?
According to BU, 10 percent at a time seems to be the perfect amount of charging. Keep your phone at 80 percent, and if it dips to 70, charge it back up to 80. Now, none of us are perfect, so that might be tough to do at first, but you'll get used to it.
But it’s not just the room temperature you should be monitoring. You also don’t want to smother your smartphone in a case that acts like an insulating coat, causing it to overheat accidentally. This is particularly important while you're charging the phone.