A teenager in Indonesian was bitten by his pet cobra, and he posted photos of the snake and also the wound on social media asking for help. Unfortunately, he died less than 12 hours later. The boy, just 14 years old, was known only as Aril. Aril was bitten in the arm by his pet snake while he was trying to take a picture of it at home. Aril lived in Bundung Regency in Indonesia's West Java province. He posted the first two pictures to his WhatsApp account at 9:50am local time.
The first picture that Aril posted on WhatsApp December 11th was a picture of the pet snake. In the picture, the cobra was spreading his hood. This picture was taken just before the cobra bit him. The photo had the caption, “Why not smile a little.” Since Aril has passed, it has been reported that they believe he attempted to take this picture first of the pet snake after he had given it a bath. The second picture was posted just a few minutes later at 9:54am. This picture was of the boy’s right arm. He had been bitten by the cobra.
You can see in the second picture that Aril had tied a shoelace around his right arm where he had been bitten. This was his attempt to stop the venom from spreading to the rest of his body. He posted the picture with the caption, “Between life and death.” He knew that he was in trouble. According to his mother, when he posted his caption he was not trying to show off or brag. His mother has been quoted saying, “Aril's status wasn't to boast [about his injury] but to ask his friends for help.”
Other reports say that Aril also wrote another message on WhatsApp after he posted the picture of the bite. He wrote, “If anyone considers themselves my friend, please take me to the hospital.” He really was asking for help.
He also worked with snakes. He was a street artist who often performed with dangerous reptiles. Before you judge, he would perform with the snakes in order to raise money for charities that were helping the victims of natural disasters.
If you are bitten by a cobra, there are many side effects, including severe pain, blurred vision, vertigo, drowsiness, and paralysis. Bites will send the victim into a coma. The victim will then typically suffer from heart and respiratory failure.
A cobra bite has been known to kill within 30 minutes, so it is unfortunate that Aril’s friend was 30 minutes too late. Aril was alone when the incident happened. According to his mother, Aril’s father was not in town and was working abroad when the horrible accident happened. RIP Aril.